Friday 19 October 2007

Love?

Some people believe in various gods, some people believe in various churches (note that this is not the same), many believe in love. I don't.

Love is not a heavenly sensation. It is not a bond that would bind a couple together forever. It is not something to die for.

Love, as most of us understand it, is the emotion that we feel when we are near a person that attracts us, a mixture of happiness, sadness, passion, nervousness and sexual appeal.
Huh, how could this be called anything more than just a physical response to increased production of hormones in the body due to the natural urge to breed?

This philosophy has been adopted by me after the Relationship I had once. It certainly simplifies the life. Or it did, until I met this Man...

Funny, how you feel so much different than your philosophy allows you to feel.

He never knew how I felt about him. There are simply things you can't do. I would have thought that the feelings would go away after some time. They didn't. They never will.

Cool, another love lost.



UPDATE:
Actually, it seems that I DO believe in love. I found that out when my beloved one told me that he loved me and I tried to explain to him that I do not love him because I don't believe in love: I believe in respect, friendship, loyalty, being faithful, spending time together, probably even raising a family - but not love. As my friend pointed out to me, LOVE was just another name for what I just listed. So from that moment on, I believe in love :-)

The Relationship I mentioned above was a summer romance I had when I was 18 with this guy who shared an interest with me and was a fireman. He left me after 4 months for a woman twice as old as I was. It took me good 6 years to get over him, even though I knew from the beginning that the relationship was not meant to last - we only shared one hobby and I was too young and naive to cope with his, hm, physical demands. (Mind you, he never tried to force me into anything, he was essentially a good guy, but sooner or later he would have wanted something physical and I would not have been able to do that at that time.)

So what is this blabbering about? I fell in love with a Man, it was overwhelming, my heart skipped a beat every time I saw him, but he was already "taken" and there were other reasons why I couldn't have him, too (like the competition - all the girls who would try their luck if he was single). I spent a whole year intoxicated by these feelings, and another year trying to forget him. It was rather unhealthy and destructive (for my psyche at least). But I enjoyed every day of this inner torture!

I have my beloved one now, I am very content with our relationship and I can imagine spending the rest of my life with him. Sweet.

No comments: